Rat Rod

Rat Rod

Friday, May 20, 2016

1966 Chevy short wide restoration

This is the next project, I have decided that since this doesn't quite qualify as a true "survivior" because it has been painted at least once, I will do some slight custom modifications to it, but leave it largely untouched because it is very heavily original, and I want to keep that look..

It is a 1966 short wide chevy. Big back window, deluxe trim package, factory air, 283 with a powerglide transmission.

9/8/16 Update:

I have finally begun the teardown for restoration, amazing what you find when you start to tear down a truck this old, lots of little issues, rustier than I first thought..

Here we go..hood is off...



Rusty fender support...ouch

Evidence of a fairly minor fender bender at some point, this will have to be worked out or replaced.

Front end totally off

Radiator out

Engine out

Engine on the lift

Engine on the stand

Rear view of the engine on the stand

Engine torn down (mostly) I am currently doing a leak down compression test to determine if I should rebuild it, or just put fresh gaskets, paint, etc. It was running quite well when I started this process. 


No comments:

Post a Comment